Ham Broccoli Mac N' Cheese Casserole- Say what??

Okay the title is a bit long and so is the name of the dish...BUT we needed a dinner and had these ingredients so I plugged them into the handy little Google app...and VIOLA!  dinner recipes were abundant!  You can find the recipe HERE on Food.com or below with my pictures!


** I did not have margarine- I used smart start butter.  I did not have flour-I used NOTHING. I did not use milk, I used lactaid free milk.  I can't eat onions..so I used onion powder! I did not have "diced cooked ham" I had deli ham that I cut up into smaller pieces:)..and; I did not have a thing to shred the cheese with so I cut up enough cheese into small/very small pieces**

Ingredients:
Servings: 6
Units: US | Metric
2 cups uncooked pasta, I used rotini
10 ounces of chopped broccoli, thawed
2 tablespoons stick margarine
1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2-2 cups milk
3/4 teaspoon dry mustard (to taste)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
12 ounces of diced cooked ham
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided


Directions:
1: Cook pasta according to directions on pasta box.
2:Drain, but do not rinse.
3:In same pan that you cooked the pasta in, add margarine and onion.
4:  Cook until onion is slightly softened, add flour and stir until well combined.
5:Add milk a little at a time, until slightly thickened, you might not need all the milk.
6: Then add dry mustard,cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
7: Remove from heat.
8: Add up to 1 1/2 cups of cheese, and stir until melted.
9: Add pasta back to cheese mixture, stir until well combined.
10: Then stir in broccoli and diced ham.
11: Place into a greased 2 quart baking dish.
12: Sprinkle top with remaining cheese, and bake in a pre heated 350 degree oven for 35 minutes.


**I served the casserole with a side of whole kernel corn (from a can..but cooked down with butter for about 30 minutes on the stop..and slices of red apple!**

Easy level- GREAT..all ingredients I knew and had some variation of and the instructions were easy to follow!

Most certainly beginner cook friendly!

Comments