Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, Book Review

General Information
Genre: Historical Fiction/Romance/Action
Publisher:Dell Publishing Company
Published: July 26, 2005 (first published 1991)

Book Summary (Per Goodreads website)
The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is just back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach—an “outlander”—in a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life, and shatter her heart. For here James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, shows her a love so absolute that Claire becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire—and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.
My Thoughts
Obviously I am beyond the times since I am just reading the books now, but my lord I wish I could kick my own booty because this book, and now that I am on book 4 in the series, is FANTASTIC!! I will admit I had not really heard of this series or author until the TV show premiered.  Then due to the previews I was not really keen on reading it because generally I have a hard time getting into the whole time traveling and or historical romance type reads.  Then I kept seeing bloggers that I have used to find new books discussing this series and thought well let's give it a try.

Once I decided that I went to the online library and thought shut the front door that many people are waiting to read this book?!?!?! But yes I added my name to the list and started my wait... I didn't realize the books were so long and that is what was taking so long:)!  Once I got the book I started reading and enjoyed the book.  The first part of the book before Claire gets to Jamie I thought was well developed and bit slow, however, once I got into the book I realized the importance of all those details and time spent showing her life after the war with Frank.  I really enjoyed that I did not know and could not tell who Claire was going to end up with out of the Scots at first.  The character development is absurdly detailed and enjoyable.  Claire, Jaime, his uncles, etc. all felt real when I was done reading this book.

Once I finished this book I immediately went to get the second book at the library.  It also was on a wait list but thankfully not as long!  I must say I was immensely impressed and entertained by this story.  Scotland, historical time periods and cultural questions are bounding about in my head.  While I am still not sure if I want to watch the TV show (edit~ I probably will after watching all the trailers and clips to find the ones I wanted for this review:), I do want to travel to Scotland, see some of these sites, learn more about history rather than the bare bones I learned while in school and continue reading this series!  Regardless if you are a slow reader, fast reader, occasional reader or voracious reader I would recommend this book as it has a bit of everything for everyone.  Seriously there is fighting, family conflict, royal intrigue, romance, witchcraft, sci-fi, health, religion and more! *I would put a small note of warning though that it should be for mature audiences as the book does involve sex, rape,  murder,violence and death.

For those interested in the TV show I have put a view trailers/previews below!
Outlander First Look on STARZ
Outlander Trailer for episodes started on April 2015

Important Links
Author
Goodreads
Facebook
Twitter

Links to Purchase the Book
Amazon
Barnes & Noble

Disclaimer: I borrowed this book from my local library.  All opinions are my own.

Comments