John Shaw's Guide to Digital Nature Photography, Book Review

General Information
Publisher: Amphoto Books
Published: March 17, 2015

Book Summary (Per Penguin Random House):
Photography legend John Shaw returns with his much-anticipated guide to digital nature photography, complete with more than 250 extraordinarily beautiful photographs

For over four decades, John Shaw’s authentic voice and trusted advice has helped photographers achieve impressive shots in the great outdoors. In his first-ever book on digital photography, Shaw provides in-depth advice on everything from equipment and lenses to thorough coverage of digital topics including how to use the histogram. In addition, he offers inspirational and frank insight that goes far beyond the nuts and bolts of photography, explaining that successful photos come from having a vision, practicing, and then acquiring the equipment needed to accomplish the intention. Easily digestible and useful for every type of photographer, and complete with more than 250 jaw-dropping images, John Shaw’s Guide to Digital Nature Photography is the one book you’ll need to beautifully capture the world around you.

My Thoughts:
Breathtaking pictures, detailed answers on the how-to and a great book for photographers of all levels.  I am a newbie when it comes to photography as a craft or art, rather than just an aim and click with my phone type picture.  I found this book a bit overwhelming and immensely inspirational at the same time.  Overwhelming because so many of the terms or pieces of equipment were beyond my knowledge wheelhouse when I began the book, inspirational because the images provided throughout the book are just beyond comparison.  I believe that everyone truly hopes to one day create pieces of art that look like many of his images.

The entire book is helpful and really left me with a sense of yes I want to master this skill, create some beautiful works of art and truly put on my bucket list wanting to take a photography course or trip like John Shaw mentioned in his book.  I enjoyed learning all the intricacies about photography, but again did feel a bit overwhelmed at the beginning of the book with all of the technical terms, pieces of equipment, etc. since I am just starting my adventure into photography.  My favorite parts of this book would be chapter 5 & 6 and the amazing images sprinkled throughout the book.  Every time I started to feel like maybe I need to rethink this photography foray, I would see another beautiful landscape or animal portrait, take a deep breath and say no I can learn and achieve!

I think if you are just starting out, just interested in pretty images or an advanced photographer this book has something for everyone.  After reading this book and learning more about this art I feel better equipped to proceed on my journey.

Important Links
Penguin Random House~ Author
Goodreads
Author/Photgrapher

Links to Purchase the Book
Penguin Random House
Amazon
Barnes & Noble

Disclaimer:  "I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review." All thoughts and opinions are my own!

Comments