Lord John and The Hand of the Devils: "Lord John and the Hellfire Club" by Diana Gabaldon, Book Review



Book Summary (per Goodreads):
Outlander character Lord John Grey finds himself in 19th-century London investigating the death of a red-haired man. Soon he is mixed up in the affairs of Sir Francis Dashwood and his notorious Hellfire Club.

My Thoughts:
I liked this story, but not as much as I have enjoyed the first three in the Outlander series.  As I mentioned in the previous DG reviews I am new to the series so I am reading them in chronological order.  What I liked about the story is similar to her other works, the characters are just so real and the detail on the environment, setting, people is tangible.  I can close my eyes and visualize what must be taking place.  What I did not enjoy about this novella is that it seemed rushed, very fast paced and there were a slew of questions I had at the end.  Like did this group just assume John wanted to be a member?  How many people are holding in the secret that they like men? How are all these women being killed and no one is noticing?  How did they get off the property?  Won't he have a hard time staying in London since so many of the people in the club are prominent in society?

Again the book kept my attention, it was fast paced with constant action, but I did not enjoy it as I felt it was not really a complete story.  I look forward to reading the next novellas to see if that is the trend for Lord John and his adventures, or if it was just the change in going from so much detail with Claire and Jamie to a shorter story for Lord John.

Important Links:

Links to Purchase Books:

Disclaimer: I borrowed this book from the library.  All thoughts are my own!

Comments