Devoted in Death by JD Robb, Book Review

General Information
Genre: Suspense, Crime, 
Published: September 15, 2015
Publisher: Putnam

Book Summary (Per Author's Website)
When Lieutenant Eve Dallas examines a body in a downtown Manhattan alleyway, the victim’s injuries are so extensive that she almost misses the clue. Carved into the skin is the shape of a heart—and initials inside reading E and D.
Ella-Loo and her boyfriend, Darryl, had been separated while Darryl was a guest of the state of Oklahoma, and now that his sentence has been served they don’t ever intend to part again. Ella-Loo’s got dreams. And Darryl believes there are better ways to achieve your dreams than working for them. So they hit the road, and when their car breaks down in Arkansas, they make plans to take someone else’s. Then things get messy and they wind up killing someone—an experience that stokes a fierce, wild desire in Ella-Loo. A desire for Darryl. And a desire to kill again.
Now they’ve landed in Eve Dallas' jurisdiction and  she has every intention of hunting them down and giving them what they truly deserve . . .

My Thoughts
 If you are an Eve Dallas fan who reads for the crimes, the investigation, the dialogue between partners and criminals... You. Will. LOVE. this addition to the In Death series.  The entire cast or list of characters that I had grown to love seeing in each book were not present this time and I thought it was somewhat refreshing..though I probably would have enjoyed it if they were in there since I love the witty banter between Eve and so many of the other characters.

This book shows, beautifully in my opinion, Eve and Roarke's evolving relationship, and thus I loved that it was not a focus of the book, but something that was there and understood.  I enjoyed that the focus was on the crime, investigation, how Eve demonstrated more trust and developing/showcasing her leadership role more in this story.   Even though the focus was on the crime I do still feel that this entire series has an interesting and lovely ongoing discussion about what love means at all levels. One of my favorite parts was when Eve broke the news about the detective exam to Baxter and Trueheart. 

The criminals and their take on love were a new twist for this series which I am thankful for because so many times a series starts to tell the same story, but each time I read a JD Robb book I now I am in for a treat!  New characters, locations, events, thought processes, etc. make each In Death book a new adventure with people that I have grown to love and enjoy.

I cannot wait to read the next book and I love that this year we still have the anthology to enjoy that she was part of!  I have not read it yet, but I will post a link to the anthology Down the Rabbit Hole, here. This will be one of the next books I read though..so keep an eye out!

Important Links

Links to Purchase Book

Disclaimer~ While I would love nothing more to be offered an ARC or preview of JD Robb's books, I bought this book with my own money.  All thoughts and opinions are my own!

Until my next post..love y'all!

Comments