Headaches and Essential Oils

I don't know about you, but I experience headaches very frequently.  Sometimes an Advil will work, others I will need Excedrin or for the really bad ones I will need a dark room, no noise, cold compresses, etc.  Regardless though my headaches were lasting a few days and leaving me with a very sore head, sensitivity to light, etc.  I was discussing this a few months back when I first started out learning about essential oils and many people recommended I try using some essential oils to aid in my headache relief. (not a cure, doesn't prevent them, but to try and see if could help lessen the pain/duration of my headache).  Well I am always open to learning more and trying healthy/natural ways to improve my health so I started researching.

What I found was many posts on Instagram, Pinterest, etc. that discussed the benefits of a plethora of essential oils.  So while there was a great deal of information out there, I did find it somewhat confusing because it was as if they all assumed everyone knew what to do with these oils!  (Maybe they do and I am the odd duck out).

So finally I took the plunge and tried out just placing lavender on the side of my head and the back of my neck.  I had some relief, but nothing drastic.  Further research had me trying some other single oils as well, but not major relief.  But then..oh then I found a series of blends to try out.  I did the blend below and found it to be a great aid in lessening the impact of my headaches.




Headache Roller Ball Blend
  • Lavender
  • Peppermint
  • Frankincense
  • Fractionated Coconut Oil.
*I found many different blends that used different amounts of each of these.  I used a 10ml roller ball and did about 30-40 drops of Lavender and Peppermint and 20 drops of Frankincense.  I used less of the Frankincense solely because that is a pricier oil! After I placed the drops in the container I filled the rest of the container with the carrier oil (fractionated coconut oil)
*I found my roller-ball at a local health food store.  Mine is a clear glass container.*
*I use DoTerra essential oils and sell them because I was so impressed by the product and benefits I experienced using them. So if you are interested you can find my website HERE, but if you have your own essential oils, vendor, etc. or just want to research more I still hope you found this post helpful!*


Do I still get headaches? Yes, but they seem to not last as long and they do not leave as severe side affects once gone.  Now I still try to cut the noise, drink more water, do deep breathing, etc., but I wanted to share my story with this blend as I have enjoyed some benefits from adding this to my routine when I have headaches!

Do you have any favorite essential oils or blends?  How do you use them?  Let me know!

Until my next post..love y'all!!

Comments