Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins, Book Review

General Information
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Paranormal
Publisher: Hyperion Book 
Published: March 2, 2010

Book Summary (Per Goodreads)
Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father—an elusive European warlock—only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tag-along ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.
My Thoughts
I did not see this one coming.  I really loved Rebel Belle and Miss Mayhem so I thought I would enjoy this book, but I am in awe over how much I enjoyed this book!  The writing was detailed, quirky and rich.  I felt like I could see the house, the land, the dresses, the videos shown and more.  I would love to see this as a show to see how technology could work some of those spells..and how the dress making would go..I can just visualize all the colors and" "ugly" dresses that could be designed!...Then that opening scene ....it would be epic! 

I was not sure what to expect with a YA book that covered so many paranormal components and a boarding school element, but this was fantastic.  I know I get a bit picky over boarding school books, but as I lived in a boarding school for four years I feel a bit entitled to that feeling of eck what stereotype or approach is about to happen now!  This book had a bit of the spooky (perfect for Halloween reading), a bit of the surprise elements (seriously if you saw that ending I commend you), a bit of a romance (but not too gooshy..yasss), a bit of the family drama and a great deal of character and story development.  Similar to the Rebel Belle series I don't have a favorite character, but rather favorite relationships!  I think the dialogue between Sophie and her roommate is priceless and I loved all the quips.  Between the writing, the characters, not knowing where the story was heading and just the overall feel of the story I can't wait to read the next book in the Hex Hall series!

Important Links

Links to Purchase Book
Disclaimer~ I borrowed this book from the library.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Until my next post..love y'all!!

Comments