Lord John and the Haunted Soldier by Diana Gabaldon, Book Review

General Information
Genre~ Historical Fiction

Book Summary (Per Goodreads)
The new novella Lord John and the Haunted Soldier was published in the 2007 Delacorte Press collection Lord John and the Hand of Devils alongside previously-published novellas Lord John and the Hellfire Club (1998) and Lord John and the Succubus (2003). As Haunted Soldier is a direct follow-up to her novel Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade, Gabaldon pushed the publication of the Hand of Devils collection until after the novel's release.

Picking up right after the events of Brotherhood of the Blade in 1759, Grey searches for the culprit behind a suspicious cannon explosion as others seek to blame him or his half brother for the incident.


My Thoughts
I enjoyed this book and had high hopes because I liked the last Lord John novel so much!  However, I am back to the same problem I had earlier with the Lord John series...these novella's are just too short.  I loved the story, emotions, writing, premise, etc., but when the last page was completed I was lost.  Not lost like oh no it is done, but lost like wait what about this ghost...did he see it, did he not, was it the ghost, or the gentlemen who was such an important part of this story!  Essentially I felt confused, like I had missed an important part of the story.  

Now perhaps this is leading into the next Lord John story because this story did pick up a few months after the last story regarding the cannon exploding, but if this was just a cliffhanger I would have liked some sort of notice to read the next one or what to do to continue the adventure!  I enjoyed seeing another aspect of Lord John and Harry is quickly becoming a favorite character of mine.  I thought the masked man and the visual descriptive given about his wounds gruesome and fantastic.  Overall I would recommend this novella, but with a warning that I was left confused!

Important Links
Author
Facebook
Twitter

Links to Purchase Book
Amazon


Disclaimer~ I borrowed this book from my library.  All thoughts and opinions are my own!

Until my next post...love y'all!!

Comments