The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and The Gods of Asgard #1) by Rick Riordan, Book Review

General Information
Genre~ Fantasy, YA
Publisher~ Disney - Hyperion Books
Published~ October 6th 2015 

Book Summary (Per Goodreads)
Magnus Chase has always been a troubled kid. Since his mother’s mysterious death, he’s lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, keeping one step ahead of the police and the truant officers.

One day, he’s tracked down by a man he’s never met—a man his mother claimed was dangerous. The man tells him an impossible secret: Magnus is the son of a Norse god.

The Viking myths are true. The gods of Asgard are preparing for war. Trolls, giants and worse monsters are stirring for doomsday. To prevent Ragnarok, Magnus must search the Nine Worlds for a weapon that has been lost for thousands of years.

When an attack by fire giants forces him to choose between his own safety and the lives of hundreds of innocents, Magnus makes a fatal decision.

Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die . . .
 

My Thoughts
I am still learning and reading through Percy Jackson's adventures and other Rick Riordan worlds, but I had to stop and experience Magnus's story after reading the blurb and seeing that gorgeous cover.  I am so glad I did because I loved this story!  It has action, humor, a bit of a rebel (and who doesn't love a rebel), sentimental scenes, intrigue and villains..love having villains!

I can't decide who I liked the most or which scene was my favorite because this story is action packed with some great dialogue between the different individuals.   The creation of the stylish body armor might be up there in my favorite parts though!  I found the different skill sets that everyone had so fun and intriguing.  I am torn on which skill I would want if I was in that situation.  I mean the scream that is fun, but being able to change into different creatures..not to shabby!  The idea behind the hotel is morbidly fantastic.  Can you imagine knowing that you will/can die everyday, but will wake back up in that hotel..talk about holding a grudge potential!

As with the RR books that I have read this year I enjoyed the ease of reading and the world that he created through words.  I found this story captivating and cannot wait for the next adventure!

Important Links

Links to Purchase Book

Until my next post...love y'all!!

Comments