Voyager by Diana Gabaldon, Book Review

General Information
Genre: Romance, Historical, Action, Sci-Fi and more
PublishedL August 7, 2001 (originally 1993)
Publisher: Delta

Book Summary (per Goodreads)
Their passionate encounter happened long ago by whatever measurement Claire Randall took. Two decades before, she had traveled back in time and into the arms of a gallant eighteenth-century Scot named Jamie Fraser. Then she returned to her own century to bear his child, believing him dead in the tragic battle of Culloden. Yet his memory has never lessened its hold on her... and her body still cries out for him in her dreams.
Then Claire discovers that Jamie survived. Torn between returning to him and staying with their daughter in her own era, Claire must choose her destiny. And as time and space come full circle, she must find the courage to face the passion and pain awaiting her...the deadly intrigues raging in a divided Scotland... and the daring voyage into the dark unknown that can reunite or forever doom her timeless love.
My Thoughts
Clearly I am working my way through the Outlander series.  If this is the first post you have read on my blog..maybe not so clear:), but the posts about Outlander and Dragonfly in Amber can be found via their links.  I was not sure what to expect when I started this book.  I mean I loved the first one, enjoyed the second but not a huge fan of the story line, but was left with high hopes for a good outcome in book three!  DG did not disappoint.  I love that the story addressed what took place in the twenty years for both of them, the details about her current life and oh the tie ins (especially with that skeleton and her reaction to it at her friends office),  I was surprised at the ease and general assumption that obviously she would return to Jamie, but at the same time it just built their love for each other to a  higher level for me.   I loved the stories telling how Jamie survived the battle, his time in Prison and more.

I do have some confusion at this point because several things just were told as there you have it and Claire went along with it, but in her time period she comes across as a strong woman who would question things.  Additionally, I thought the telling of the twenty years took a bit to much of the book.  Other questions were silly such as ...why did she not bring more of blank, or read more about blank..or do more research about how the stones work, etc.   Regardless the questions I have are immaterial because the story kept moving along and the reintroduction of so many characters were brilliant!  I loved the story line of Jamie and Gray.  I did not see any of that story line taking place, but thought the balance of who was in "power" and then to friendship and family was fascinating.  I was shocked at the role that the other time traveling woman played and her development in this book.  Even with the way her story was told I still feel like we have not seen the last of her or her problems.

By the end of this book I am back to being fully ensnared in the series and Jamie and Claire's life.  I also look forward to seeing if and how we will learn more about young Ian, Fergus, their daughter, his son and more!

Important Links
Author
Goodreads
Facebook
Twitter


Purchase Locations
Amazon
Book Depository
Barnes & Noble

Disclaimer: I borrowed this book from the library.  All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Comments